Pages

Monday, September 12, 2016

My Speech

This term I have been writing a speech for school. I have been working on it a lot, to make it as great as it can be. I wrote my speech on Dangerous Intersections, because every day I go through an extremely dangerous intersection and it isn't safe. I hope you like it. WARNING, this speech is very long.

Here is my writing:
DANGEROUS INTERSECTIONS
1.
Have you ever had to sit waiting in traffic at an intersection for 7 minutes straight, just sitting there? I have, and I am telling you, it is not fun! It can make you really late to school or work. When people have to wait a long time in traffic, they often take bad risks. Also, pedestrians who get stuck at intersections without traffic lights can make bad decisions about crossing.
So before you do experience a long wait and take a bad risk, let’s improve these intersections. Let’s make them more safe. I will tell you how because I have some terrifying facts driving your way!


2.
Firstly, I want to explain how Crossed Yellow Lines effect some intersections like the one near Owairaka Ave on Mt Albert Road. Crossed Yellow Lines are like traffic lights or stop signs on the road, so if you drive over them when the
traffic is supposed to stop, it is like driving through a red light. Each day I see at least 10 cars drive over Crossed Yellow Lines at this one intersection, over only 3 minutes! These drivers should stop before the Crossed Yellow Lines, to let cars merge. But these days some people are being inconsiderate and driving illegally.


3.
Secondly, you could be active and do something to change the intersection problems. I am just one person. I’m like a tiny ant. But if we all work together, we could be like a giant and make change happen. Time is running out because there is a crash waiting to happen and if we don’t stop it who will? My family wrote a letter to Auckland Transport about the intersection problems I mentioned. But we didn’t get a proper reply and the intersection is still unsafe.
Just imagine, what it would be like if you were in a crash at an intersection. You might get injured very badly or even die.
Please realize how dangerous some intersections can be, especially those without traffic lights.
You can’t ignore intersections in a car, or on foot or you could be in a wheelchair for the rest of your life! Life is important, so look after it.



4.
Did you know that during the last five years in town areas, 46% of deaths and serious injuries happened at intersections! That has gone way too far over the line! Even if everyone obeyed all the road rules, there would still be around 200 road deaths each year. Intersections are not friendly, don’t let them trick you!


5.
Lastly here are some solutions to all these problems.
We could show the roads people how dangerous some intersections are. We kids could ask for more traffic lights to help all cars and people go through intersections safely and fairly.
We could build a bridge over the top of the dangerous roads, so the other roads can still go past. That can happen.   
We could even fundraise to buy some land to change the layout of the most dangerous intersections.
We could group together to talk to the Prime Minister and explain that lots of lives are being affected, so that he will want to give money to road projects.
6.
To conclude, I believe that together we can all make a difference. We could save some lives, so come and join me because you are old enough to know what the right thing to do is. Let’s improve these Dangerous Intersections.
I am ready to do something and I hope you are too. I challenge you to join me and make our intersections safe.

Thank-You for listening.

3 comments:

  1. Malo e lelei Olivia B I am Jasmine from Gilberthorpe School in christchurch I am a year 5.
    This is a really good speech. You must have been a little nervous when you were just going up stage and had to say that big speech in front of a lot of people you must be pretty brave to do that I have never done something like that before you must be a superstar. Well done and keep up the awesome work. Feel free to comment on my blog here is the address for it:
    http://gpsjasminec.blogspot.co.nz/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jasmine, Thanks a lot for the lovely comment on my speech. I was pretty nervous but I loved it too. Thanks for your blog address, I will check it out. Blog you later.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete